Forget your fry up and don't even bother with that avocado on toast, this is the only breakfast recipe you'll ever need. Here, earthy flat mushrooms are stuffed with nutty black pudding and topped with a melty poached egg and boozy, buttery girolles. But don't worry, you won't be left feeling overwhelmed by all the indulgence of this dish, because the tarty freshness of the blackberries and peppery watercress will cut through the cream, keeping all the flavours in perfect balance.
Make a Belfast breakfast from The Mushroom Cookbook
This recipe takes lazy weekend breakfasts to new heights. It's decadent, delicious and inspired by a famous hotel in Belfast that likes to serve its morning cereal with a glug of whiskey and cream
Preparation time 15 mins
Cooking time 25 mins
- 2 flat mushrooms, halved
- 100g black pudding
- 100g blackberries
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 30g chopped fresh curly parsley
- 50g butter, softened
- 100g girolles
- 50ml whiskey (go for one with vanilla tones, if you can)
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- Juice and zest of ½ lemon
- 100g watercress
- Ground black pepper
- Poached eggs and crusty bread to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas 4. Place the flat mushrooms on a baking sheet. Crumble the black pudding into a bowl, add 50g blackberries, garlic, parsley and 25g of the butter. Stir and season with black pepper, then divide the mixture between the mushroom halves with your hands. Bake for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, melt the remaining 25g butter in a frying pan and add the girolles, cooking for 2 minutes. Turn to a high heat and add the whiskey, stirring to reduce for 1 minute, then stir in the mustard and crème fraîche. Season with black pepper. Whiz up the remaining blackberries and all of the lemon juice and zest in a food processor or in a bowl with a fork.
- Serve the baked mushrooms on a bed of watercress with a poached egg, drizzled with the girolles and blackberry purée, and serve with crusty bread.
From The Mushroom Cookbook by Michael Hyams and Liz O'Keefe. Published by Lorenz Books .